Tuesday, March 24, 2009

A Brilliant Product Placement

I wrote a post on product placement quite a few days back. I came across a great work on product placement a few days back.

As we all know, MTV flagship Roadies is sponsered by Hero Honda. Now how to place a product in such a programme which is already associated with a brand. Well, marketers do have  away to tackle this unique problem and that is placing the product at relavent positions.

The recent task for the contenders of Roadies was to collect coins tied around the lower part of crocodiles body. The task was really scary and contestants were panicking a lot. And here comes a product that says, "Darr ke aage jeet hai", which means that there is victory beyond fear. Well, I guess you have surmised the respective product, which is Mountain dew (from the umbrella of Pepsico).

I think product placement is a great way to breakthrough the advertising clutter and to manage to place a product in a programme that is associated with some other brand (though in different category) is a brilliant marketing effort. 

3 comments:

Deeptaman Mukherjee said...

Well, I would like to contest your views on a few points here -

1. Product placements is a form of Embedded Marketing, i.e. it is a form of advertisement, where branded goods or services are placed in a context usually devoid of ads, such as movies, the story line of television shows, or news programs. The product placement is often not disclosed at the time that the good or service is featured. Roadies exactly does that by placing their bikes in strategic positions at the time of vote-outs and all. The tagline "Darr ke aage jeet hai" is probably mis-interpreted by you as an illustration of Product Placement. It is just that the product's tagline was relevant to the situation of that particular episode. Or, was it something that I could not understand ? Would wait for your clarification on this.

2. The line you stated - "Well, I guess you have surmised the respective product, which is Mountain dew (from the umbrella of Pepsico)." . I didn't understand the relevance of Mountain Dew or Honda's association with it. Also, "Surmised" means - to think or infer without certain or strong evidence. I didn't understand how and why Mountain Dew surmised what and when.

Can you please throw light on these two conceptual constructs and their practical applications.

Reply eagerly awaited.

Lavika said...

Well,I hope you have seen the episode wherein Roadies were given the task I have mentioned in my post. As the contestants were panicking, the ad of Mountain Dew was flashed on screen along with the tagline.
I mean to highlight the perfect timing of product placement in the show. The product placement has been coherent with the product's positioning.
Well,I am not very clear with what you mean by mentioning the meaning of surmise. I just meant that the readers must have guessed the name of the product by reading its tagline.
Well, thanks for telling me about embedded marketing.Can you elaborate more on it?

Deeptaman Mukherjee said...

If the scenario was as described as you, then it might be an instance of Product Placement. Though it could have been better.

About Embedded Marketing, On which aspects of it do you want me to elaborate more. Please mention them or you can always google it out.