Saturday, February 14, 2009

Did you ever think of this ???


If I say Saawariya, what comes to your mind? It’s possibly Ranbir’s towel dance. This is because this act of Ranbir got much heat among the critics and then the audience too. Similarly, there have been a lot of movies like Page 3, Corporate that grabbed the attention of critics and thereby the masses. The reason lies in general human tendency, which is to get attracted towards negatives than positives. People tend to remember failures, rather than achievements.
I am writing this post as I recently experienced the importance of critics in creating hype, often leading to success of the event. I have been writing a lot on brands and marketing concepts too. Yesterday I tried something different. I picked up a commercial which was not at all appealing to me. I have been a critic to the advertisement and in lieu of this, I got a lot of critics on my criticism of the ad in my post. The traffic has never been such huge, when I used to write only on positive marketing specifics. The post got a lot of attention as it criticized the marketing communication strategies, etc.
As such, I think, generating critics is a great marketing strategy. Marketers can capitalize on it by making the brand a bit controversial for critics, but the bottleneck is that the strategy can have converse effect, if not planned and executed prudently.

No comments: