Friday, June 19, 2009

Latent or Real ?


I came across this print ad today. Well, I guess it's a brilliant ad as the ad is attractive enough to attract the eyeballs of consumers, who are consumers of all age groups. These consumers are sons and daughters who may not be very caring towards their parents, but who make sure that they thank their parents at least once a year for their life time service.

Well, marketers say that the success mantra for any organisation is to give consumers what they want, but if you see products like greeting cards, do you think that customers have ever required such a thing? Well, a naive response to this issue may lie in tapping of latent needs which are the hidden needs. Latent needs are the needs which consumers aren't aware of.

Well, I really don't think that greeting cards serve your latent needs. All of us express ourselves some or the other way. Speaking about myself, I express myself in writing. I may write a letter or a small note to extend my feelings. Now, these cards serve the function of facilitating this expression of feelings in a convenient way. If I want to express gratitude to my parents, rather than writing a letter, I would prefer giving a greeting card which is actually convenient for me.

As such, greeting cards do not cater to your latent needs. Rather, greeting cards facilitate your need to expression, which is a real or a felt need.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This one shows your affection for your parents. :). Only a few of New-Gen think about all this. I really respect this :)

Really there is no replacement of a few words which can express your affection/feelings/respect for some one.